This chopped steak is pan fried on the stove and smothered in thick brown gravy with onions. Learn the straightforward chef-inspired secret behind making ultra-juicy, restaurant quality steak patties!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- ▢ 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ▢ 1 ½ lbs. ground beef, 85% lean
- ▢ 4 Tablespoons frozen butter
- ▢ ½ cup yellow onion, very finely minced
- ▢ 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- ▢ 3 teaspoons Worcestershire
- ▢ 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ▢ Salt/Pepper
- ▢ 2 yellow onions, sliced into ¾ inch strings
- ▢ 3 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, separated
- ▢ 1 cup chicken broth
- ▢ 1 cup beef broth
- ▢ 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ▢ ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ▢ 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ▢ 1/4 cup cold water + 3 tablespoons corn starch
Prepare the Steaks
- Shred the frozen butter.
- Gently combine the minced onions, butter, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and the meat. Don’t overwork the meat or it will make the steaks tough.
- Form into evenly sides oval steaks. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Remove from fridge and season each side with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. (Cast iron will sear the meat the best.)
- Add the hamburger steaks and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
Make the Gravy
- Decrease heat to medium-low. Melt 2 Tablespoons butter to the pan and add the onions. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the onions soften and begin to caramelize.
- Add the chicken broth, beef broth, onion powder, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Run a silicone spatula along the bottom of the pan to lift up any remnants of meat, this will give the gravy extra flavor.
- Mix in the cornstarch and cold water until combined.
- Bring the gravy to a boil and whisk in the cornstarch mixture.
- Continue to whisk and decrease heat to medium.
Delicious ingredient additions:
- Cooked and crumbled bacon is wonderful to work into the meat.
- Top the steaks with Swiss cheese and let it melt before serving.
- Add mushrooms to the gravy if desired.
- For creamier gravy, or to increase the quantity of gravy, mix in a can of cream of mushroom soup at the end with an optional dab of room temperature sour cream!