• 5 tablespoons chili powder
• 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
• 2 tsp dried oregano (crushed)
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp garlic salt
• 5 cups cold water
• 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1. Mix dry ingredients in a large saucepan until well combined.
2. Slowly stir in 1 cup of water while whisking continuously to eliminate lumps. Whisk until smooth.
3. Slowly whisk in the remaining 4 cups of water making sure there are no lumps.
4. Heat the mixture over medium heat until thickened and barely boiling.
5. Stir in tomato sauce and heat thoroughly. Do not boil.
6. Use in your favorite enchilada recipe.
7. Optional – If you prefer a mole type sauce replace the cumin with 1 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder.